Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Becky Lowder

Lora was assigned to be my roommate my freshman year at college. I’ve considered her my best friend ever since, and value my friendship with her immeasurably. Consequently, I knew Roy as my friend’s father. I was immediately intrigued and perplexed by him at the same time. He was so unconventional (and I really think he’d consider that a compliment coming from someone whose definition of conventional was shaped largely in Utah County).

 

At that point I didn’t know too many fathers who loved gambling, Pinochle, tuica, democratic politics, Faulkner and education with as much passion as he did. He was a fantastic mix of contradictions and I liked him immediately. I’m sure my entire life whenever I see The Sound and the Fury on a bookshelf I’ll think of him.

 

I had the wonderful opportunity of traveling around Romania with Roy and Lora one summer and spending several weekends with them in Mesquite, Nevada. But still, I can’t pretend to know him personally that well. What I do know is that I really liked him; he was a great conversationalist, extremely opinionated, and he loved Lora and her brothers in his own, unconventional, way. I love the Bird family almost as much as my own. My love, thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Becky. I remember those trips to Mesquite, even though they feel like a million years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky. Thank you for your thoughts. It's cool the different touch points you had with Dad over the many years you've been a part of our family.

    ReplyDelete