I was deeply saddened to hear of Dr. Roy Bird's passing. I was Roy's student at UAF in the late '80s when I was studying for my MFA in creative writing. Roy always had a reputation as a "master teacher" -- someone who had high expectations for students yet always went out of his way to provide assistance to those in need. He was a major source of inspiration for my own career as a teacher and scholar. During my last year at UAF, Roy's graduate course on British Modernism was one of the factors that led me to decide to pursue a Ph.D. in British literature at the University of Oregon. When first entering the program, I worried that my MFA coursework would be inadequate preparation for doctoral-level research. But I soon discovered that the training I had received from Dr. Bird provided an excellent foundation for studying British literature in a highly competitive environment. I am forever indebted to him for encouraging me to set high standards for myself as a writer, teacher, and scholar.
A wonderful teacher's influence on others is incalculable. Those of us who had the fortune of being Roy's students will always feel the effects of his wisdom and generosity.
Please convey my condolences and best wishes to his family and friends.
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment