
As Geoff mentioned at the service, before our father’s death our family had only been touched by one other person’s passing. With so little exposure to loss, I had never witnessed a cremation. Seeing

Dad laid to rest in a cardboard box was haunting. Looking at the pictures this morning brought back the same stab that I felt in Fairbanks. I was tempted to avoid spreading the feeling but decided that this blog is about remembering, not forgetting.
After a few minutes of staring and crying, Corina asked if anyone had a pen or marker. She then wrote a Romanian message to Dad on the box. Later she invited everyone in attendance to also write messages if they so desired. Following are pictures of most of the messages. {I say most because I happened to forget my own note. Who knows how many others I overlooked?} If you intended your message to be for my father alone, send me an email and I will remove it.















































As we were making preparations for the cremation, I kept asking Corina if we were going to have any sort of service. She kept insisting that my dad would have hated doing anything formal. {And, yeah, it’s the sort of thing he loathed.} I was thrilled when so many people caught wind of our “small family service.” I wish I had thought to record what everyone said, but as Dave says, we were all “crazy” during those first few days and the thought didn’t occur to me until later. {I’d love it if you’d post the background of the crazy, Dave.}
Here are some pictures that I snapped at the funeral home. I apologize if you were in attendance and you aren’t represented. As expected, I was focused on mourning rather than documenting. {I also apologize if you are pictured and would prefer not to be.} Thank you to everyone who came. It was nice to see so many of my dad’s Fairbanks family.








I forgot to take a close-up of the flowers on the box, but here are the rest of them. My dad loved flowers, thank you for bringing them. They were beautiful.




After the service people came to the house for a celebration that I believe Dad would have endorsed. Corina’s bookstore buddies provided a marvelous feast. {You’ve done so much more than that then and since. Thank you for your sincere friendship and service, ladies.}

Again, I have a mere sampling of those in attendance…








The party lasted into {and through} the night. Patty joined some of the boys in a “Roy-size shot” of Dad’s favorite whiskey, Jim Beam.


Oh, dear, I'll have to return and post later when I have time to absorb this. I was one of Roy's students in the 80s--I took the same UAF class that Alexis described, with Alexis, I think--and I was just thinking about him and the google landed me here. I need to grieve for a bit.
ReplyDeleteI can say, however, that Roy would have loved having everyone write on his--paper!--casket. I wish I could have been there.