
On Sunday September 6th, my younger brother Geoff and I went with our families to Bryce Canyon, UT to spread some of Dad's ashes at one of Dad's favorite places on earth. Geoff and I had just participated in a relay race in St. George so we figured this would be a nice jaunt and a terrific place, among the numerous others, for Dad's final resting spot.
I have many fond memories of Bryce Canyon with Dad. During one of his first visits to Utah after his divorce from my mom, Dad took me, Dave and Geoff to Bryce Canyon. I have scattered memories of this trip but do remember that it felt good to be running around God's country with "The Boys." While we were down there this time Geoff reminded me that on our drive home, after stopping at the Bryce Canyon Lodge for some 32 oz. Pepsi's all three of us boys had to go to the bathroom. Alla Hab (Dad's dad), Dad didn't want to stop so we could relieve ourselves. He instructed us to take care of business in one of the now vacant cups which we, being the ever-obedient sons, did. In a truly suitable setting, we subsequently performed an act befitting that part of the country which now, as I look back, makes me feel like we did it in the spirit of Ed Abbey: Dave leaned out of the window and hurled this cup of urine at a road sign. I am certain that he plugged the road sign dead center and a tidal wave of pee ensued. My embellishing memory has it that the sign even fell over. That was the stuff of legend.The next time I remember going to Bryce Canyon was a trip we took with Dad, his new wife Corina and their young son Liviu in 1992. This was the first chance that my siblings and I had to get to know Corina and our hilarious younger brother. We couldn't understand a lick but died laughing at Cuca berating the chipmunks around Inspiration Point in Romanian. He kept it going during the ride home with his numerous and now infamous Romanian catch phrases. That was a terrific trip.
Now to the point. Geoff obtained permission from the Park Ranger's office to deposit some of
Dad's ashes in the canyon. The stewards of the park have designated Piracy Point as the place for doing just that so we headed over to the point. It was cool because I don't know if I've ever been to that specific overlook. It almost felt off of the beaten path which was well suited for Dad. We explained to my sons Dylan and Gavyn what we were doing; they were very respectful and seemed to understand the sentiment. The weather was spectacular, the area was ours and we, along with my sons, spread some of the ashes over the edge of the canyon rim at the base of this gnarled old cedar. This obscure little corner of Bryce Canyon has now forever become for our family sacred ground.Here is a picture of all of us. Dad and I were diehard Astros fans so as a tribute, my family dressed in gear.

Bryan, Cortnie, Alexis (baby), Dylan, Gavyn, Geoff, Wyatt (baby) and Stacee
Excellent, Bry. I'd really like a copy of the last pict--for some reason it won't let me grab it. I haven't been to Bryce since I went with Dad AGES ago.
ReplyDeleteNice one, Bry. Nice writing too.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story. I'm sure your dad loved the Astros nod. I had no idea you were so eloquent. You and Lora must be the kids of some serious English geeks. :)
ReplyDelete