Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jim Conner

I met Roy in the early 80’s when I first visited Fairbanks to participate in a the wedding of John Luick. At that time Roy was looking for the love of his life and that seemed to be what he wanted most. Two years later I moved to Fairbanks and at that time Roy was a tall lean running machine and we ran together preparing for the Equinox Marathon. Roy always had an open mind and would gladly discuss Physics, Metaphysics, or the questionable value of Thomas Hardy’s Tess of the D’Urbervilles, (Ha, Ha, sorry Roy I couldn’t help getting the last word on that one), which Roy had said was his favorite book at that time. 

I spent many years at the University and only occasionally ran into Roy since I didn’t venture much into the seedy world of the English Department but when I did see him it was always a joyful visit. He would get that half serious-half humorous look on his face that telegraphed “openness,” he was ready for anything I had to say and he was looking for a surprise. I felt a responsibility to try to come up with something new, something that could surprise him and I suspect this attitude of his challenged his students to think differently and to become better writers. 

It was wonderful to see him so happy when he brought his love back with him from Romania, he found what he was looking for and I suspect many of his friends breathed a sigh of relief that finally such a deserving heart was filled. 

Over the years we met occasionally and noted the changes in our children. I’ve only met his son Dave as an adult and Roy was very proud of him and it’s not surprising that Dave is a seeker as well. 

Roy always kept his sense of humor and openness and I will always remember that look of recognition and his anticipation for anything life had for him (very much like the toothless grin in the last baby picture on the blog). 

I’ll miss those occasions Roy, and perhaps someday you and John and I can split another gusano.

No comments:

Post a Comment