Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Brent Whiting

In addition to being a beloved relative, Roy was also a close friend.  We were born the same year and shared many experiences growing up as young boys in Utah before my parents left the state.

Years ago, while we were both attending Brigham Young Unversity, he made a trip to Whittier, Calif., where I was then living, and we drove back to Provo together, a delightfull 670-mile trip in which we discussed our goals and aspirations in life.  We were both unmarried then.

Like Roy, I aspired to be an English teacher, but found a different calling in life through newspaper journalism.  Last year, at the urging of Janet, my fiancé who is now my wife, I decided to go back to college, after a 38-year absence, and earn a master's degree in English, thus putting me back on an education and career path that Roy had followed.

I expect to receive my degree Dec. 11.  I had planned to phone Roy and let him know of my efforts.  It sadly grieves me to know that I will never be able to place that call.  In the meantime, my thoughts and prayers go to Roy, the father, Glenna, the mother, Glenn and Jane, siblings, as well as Corina and Penny.  A few years ago, before the death of my first wife, Roy and Corina made a trip to Phoenix and we spent a delightful evening with them, getting to know Corina and trying to make up for lost times.

Now that Roy is no longer with us, I will always cherish this time that we were able to spent together.  I'm tempted to cite lines from a few  poems that I know that Roy would acknowledge and appreciate, but let me end by extending my love and best wishes to let his loved ones know who much I esteemed and appreciated him.

No comments:

Post a Comment