Saturday, August 29, 2009

Jean Anderson

Dear Corina and family:

My condolences to you all.  What a loss -- and what a gift to us all to have known Roy and benefitted from his energy and wit and wisdom.  I taught at UAF on and off during the 1980's, until about 1992, and was a BA and MFA student before those dates.  My most vivid memories of Roy during the '80s are related to you, Corina; how much he loved you.  It was a pleasure to see the quiet, devoted romance you shared.  I also recall, David, how proud your father was to hear what talent you have as a writer; when you were an undergrad creative writing student, your dad glowed when I mentioned what fine fiction you were writing.  (Hope you're still at it!  You have your father's literary gifts, I suspect; I know he was very proud of you and I still recall mushroom jello....)  

Roy was supportive of the creativity of others, but dismissed praise to himself. Once when I mentioned seeing his Ph.D. thesis (in Gulliver's, I think) he said: "Oh, is that old thing still kicking around?"  He was generous when it counted; he understood the use of power, and friendship.  He had a fine sense of balance, creating a spot in recent years for John Haines, encouraging gifted students in the honors program, upholding high academic standards and clear thought while drawing generously on, and sharing, his own warmth and joy in life.  And he was the same Roy on and off campus, always himself, always putting others at ease. 

I'll miss his biting, subtle, humorous, perfectly apt, witty and clear letters to the editor, his ability to say so much in so few words.  And his political, social and academic acumen!  He was a fine man who made the world, and Fairbanks, a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment