Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Geoffery Stauffer

Roy opened the doors in my mind.  He held open doors of opportunity giving not only me also my wife Esther a chance at a better life.  I’ve been so distressed…knowing those opportunities came with a heavy price. I’d give just about anything to see him and talk with him just one more time.  ..  .. .. I will never forget how he helped me get through the bad days and how he stood by me when I didn’t deserve it.  In every single moment I spent with him, he not only opened up my mind, but he helped me be a better person.

When I came to Fairbanks, not knowing anyone, not knowing what I was even doing there--outside of some vague notion of getting as far away from home as possible—I was a little apprehensive about class with Dr. Bird.  All I had to go on was his bio in the UAF catalog (no internet in those days!).  Shit! BYfuckingU??? Here I thought I was getting the hell away from the long arm of Brother Brigham.  But Roy approached me first at an introductory gathering at the honors house.  Approached...despite my recently shaved head, combat boots, torn up clothes, and jacket bearing conspicuously scrawled “FUCK RACISM.”  It didn’t phase Roy in the least.  (Or at least he didn’t let it show).  Instead, he immediately started talking to me about star valley and the how being surrounded by such religious intolerance must have been painful for me. It was clear he had taken a hand in getting me into the honors program.  I had never met anyone (other than my best friend who also left with me), that had broken away from the church and not ended up in a mental ward.  I took to him instantly.  I could tell that the 1-hr-per-day of class time I had with him wasn’t nearly enough.   Luckily for me, Roy made time for me…whenever I needed it, at the office and even at his home.  He was there for me when I hit bottom.  He was still there when I pulled myself back together.  When I would bring my daughter Tussii to his house it was like visiting her grandparents…he always showed her genuine affection and care.

I still value so much that Roy didn’t prejudge me.  I really appreciate that when I made strange or even bizarre requests, he not only didn’t put me down, he encouraged me to explore.  But he didn’t accept laziness or sloppiness…he made me work to support my positions.  I wanted to break all the rules.  Roy said fine, but you better know exactly what the rules are you want to break, and understand why they are what they are.  Expanding my awareness of structure in order to turn the master’s tools against the machine.  And importantly, Roy introduced me to books and authors that changed my life….Pynchon, Barth, Marquez.  Even more importantly he introduced me to his son…my comrade in mayhem. 

I will always cherish every minute I got to spend with you Roy.  And I will always wish that I had just one more.

-g

No comments:

Post a Comment