Tuesday, August 25, 2009

John W. Flynn Jr.

It is with a heavy heart that I type this salute to Roy. I just found out from the newspaper that Roy passed last Friday and I'm deeply saddened. I had Roy as a teacher at UAF as an undergraduate back in the late 80s and early 90s and to this day I remember lectures and discussions we had in his classes. Roy was genuine and cared deeply about his students finding meaning out of the literature (and criticism) we read. My friends and I who took classes with Roy still fondly recall some of those memories when we get together. In the last few years as a pseudo-graduate student, Roy was my strongest advocate and always encouraged me to follow my dream (and not give up on rooting for my perpetually disappointing N.Y. Mets). This week I begin my 17th year as a public school teacher here in Fairbanks, Alaska, and I am deeply indebted to Roy for inspiring me to pursue a vocation I absolutely love. God bless your soul Roy, and my sincere condolences to Mrs. Bird and his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment