I was friends with Roy for 14 years. He was the director of composition when I came to UAF as a graduate student. He was so encouraging. He appeared fearless. One day he put our class into two groups: men and women. The task was to debate gender differences in writing instruction. It was a crazy factionalist class period. We attacked each other. It taught us a lot. Roy accepted everyone as they were and fought hard for ideals. I don’t think everyone knew how easily his feelings could be hurt.
Roy supported my decisions one hundred percent. Not one single time did he ever express disappointment or doubt in me. I knew that no matter how bad I felt or acted, he would turn it positive. He wrote countless letters of recommendation for me even though I always ended up right back here.
When I was pregnant living in a cabin without water, Roy got me keys to the Copper Lane house so I could bathe, and later I bathed my baby there. I did my laundry there. I wrote my exams there. I spent afternoons in a chair across from him talking about people and ideas and books there.
When Roy was department chair and I the admin, I felt we were the most kick-ass team. We had full trust in each other. We tailored the work to suit our strengths. He let me bring my baby to work. He let me nurse in his office. Even when I was crazed with post-term pregnancy rashes and insanity, and made all kinds of people angry with me, Roy remained steadfast a supporter. He boosted me up.
Roy and I had a game over the years. We would guess, when new graduate students arrived into the English department, about who would stay in Alaska and who would leave as soon as possible. Sometimes we were wrong. I know that I will keep playing this game and also guess which ones he would disagree about. I already wish I could send him a sarcastic email.
More than any other person Roy has read my writing. He knew what I thought and wanted. He wanted me to succeed. He wanted everything for me in the way that fathers do. I have a great dad, and I feel so lucky to also have Roy. I hope that I was somehow able to give him something too.
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Roy Bird ruled! great to have him on my thesis committee, and great to hang out with
ReplyDelete