
{Those who know me know I’m “photophobic.” So, I had to include a picture of myself from much younger (and thinner!) days.}
Since Roy was always at least six inches taller than I and almost 10 years older, he has always been my “big brother.” I’m certain Roy and our brother Glenn were not thrilled to have a little sister when they were 9 and 8 years old, respectively. We lived in a small, two-bedroom house in Springville, and my arrival meant Roy and Glenn were “banished” from the second bedroom upstairs to the basement. To keep me from going in their basement bedroom, they told me the “boogeyman” also lived down there. That created a fear of basements for me that lingers to an extent even today.
Our parents (very foolishly) often left me with Roy and Glenn as my babysitters. My brothers liked to tease me unmercifully. One time, Roy put me down for a nap after a “torture session” and, after I fell asleep, he woke me to tell me I’d had a bad dream so I wouldn’t tell Mom and Dad what he and Glenn had done to me. When I was six years old, Mom and Dad got us a cat that I named Ginger. I joined Roy and Glenn in tormenting the cat. I used to apologize to her all the time, saying, “I’m sorry—it’s either you or me.”
I love that you included a picture of yourself. I would love it if others did as well. It could help me visualize who is speaking. {And maybe then I would remember if I've met people before.}
ReplyDeleteVery nice, Jane. Thank you for sharing some of these memories with us.
ReplyDelete