And he had a rare combination of humor and grace. When I threatened to train for the Equinox, he told me that he had been a marathon runner until he had run off of a cliff in the dark and made a deal with higher powers that if he survived he'd give up running (I don't know if that story is true or not, but it did make me wait a few years to run my first marathon). When my wife burst into one of our classes to announce that she had been accepted to a graduate program, Roy simply said "well, you can't stand in the way of enthusiasm like that" and, when I'd returned from the hallway, made me give a full report of the news to the class.
Roy is one of my favorite people. I don't think he knew, but some of us fondly called him Judge Roy Bird, not because of any similarity to Paul Newman's 1970s film character (or the notorious historical character) but because it seemed like he had a kind of wisdom and experience, and he would be there for you when things got a bit rough, and he had a Westerner's way of cutting through the elitism of academic life and putting things in their proper perspective.
I'm heartbroken at this news, but when I remember that people all over the world knew and loved Roy (and tell fond stories of him to others) it helps me believe that he is only partially gone.
Pete Dulgar
MFA student 1995-1998
No comments:
Post a Comment