Monday, August 17, 2009

Russ Stratton

Yesterday I was watching tennis on TV, and without thinking I began to compose my usual email to Roy about the matches--until I realized there would be no more witty, arch, brief exchanges with my old friend.  It was only then that I felt, selfishly enough, the enormous loss occasioned by his passing.

We first met in 1984 when he and family arrived in Fairbanks.  David and our son were pals from the start, but only in the later years prior to my retirement did Roy and I became really close, largely because he salvaged my career under circumstances best left unspecified here.  Suffice it to say that his encouragement and belief steadied me, as they did so many others, not only students.

So I write not of his teaching abilities in any classroom but instead of his honest friendship and yes, of his often a bit scandalous sense of humor.  He is the colleague from UAF days whom I cherished most, and his early death is difficult indeed to take in.  Roy Bird was always a giver, never a taker.  I'm sure he would advise me at this point about brevity, so reluctantly I will leave off.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Russ, Thanks for your kind words about Dad. He and I had similar exchanges about various sporting events. I'm sure we met during one of my many visits up there but more than anything I remember him mentioning your name numerous times in conversation. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Stratton,
    I doubt that you remember me, but you too have influenced me as a teacher, father and as a member of society. I wrote a paper comparing Utopia and Gulliver's Travels in an entry level English class at UAF and you were very kind and helpful. The work was nothing to recall, but the fun I had connecting such disparate works really got me interested in literature and how it shapes society. I also always respected your iconoclastic demeanor towards those in power who were less than intelligent. Your letters to the editor was always spot on and I'm glad you've beaten the bastards and survived. Roy spoke highly of you, and always missed his brother in arms.

    ReplyDelete